Monday 16 December 2013

Countdown to Christmas Day 16

Hello & Happy Monday!

Apologies in the lateness of today's Countdown to Christmas post, I've spent a festive day with my college friends. We set off early to Joy's house in the City of York where we gathered to get out festive on making some Christmas wreaths. 

This is the final result on my dining table with a simple candle in the centre. As we are spending Christmas Day at my parents in law, I will most likely take it to decorate the table there.




Now, I'm a total novice when it comes to flower arranging and to say I got a little stressed out in preparing for this is an understatement and I think I took half the garden with me as my main worry was I wouldn't have enough to fill a wreath! Let's just say I was worrying about nothing and had far more than I needed and I think you could have made at least three more wreaths out of the foliage which was left.

I thought I'd share a few more photos from our creative afternoon, which I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed once I had got into the flow of it.




We started off with an Oasis wreath which is about 12" in diameter. I am quite methodical and added my foliage in a very organised way, I don't seem to able to do random! My friend Mavis  (seen below) is very much like me and started off very methodical in the building of her wreath.




The idea to make these Christmas wreaths was my friend Joy's idea (seen below) who learn't the craft off one of her other friends. 




Joy, Colleen & Jackie all had a free flowing approach to their wreaths and considering we all had access to the same foliage and flowers we all created individual wreaths. Here is Colleen (below) who like me had never done anything like this before.






The cost layout is quite minimal for a project like this, the wreath cost £3.65 and I think we each spent about £3.90 on a bunch of flowers each off the market so we had a good selection. A bunch of mixed flowers from the supermarket would be just as good. All the foliage was from our gardens.




Slow progress, but it was starting to take shape. The majority of my wreath was made up of a variegated holly that I have in my garden, its a two toned green and not quite as prickly as the normal holly. I added a few pinecones and a few fake sparkly acorns along with Chrysanthemums. 




Here's me (having a BAD hair day) adding the finishing touches! I added a few deep red roses and a few red berries and I done and pretty pleased with my creation, as we all were. 




Here are the five masterpieces...




Definitely a lot different from paper crafts and making cards by still very enjoyable and something I would dabble in again. Plus it makes the table look very festive :)

That's all from me today, but I will be back again tomorrow with more to share. Until then, thank you for stopping by and I hope you've enjoyed this something a little different?! 


10 comments:

  1. Wow they are all fabulous hun but you shouldn't have worried thou because yours is stunning and love the touch of colours too...

    Does look like you had a great day with the girls...well deserved me thinks!!
    hugs and xxx
    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you all had a great time! I really like doing flower arranging like this, but haven't done it for ages!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Beverley... I've tried it with silk and fake flowers and it's not easy to begin with. They all look fantastic. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Bev ... your keen eye for design has translated beautifully to this amazing wreath ... looks as though you all had a brilliant (and creative) time! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic display of wreaths. Well done Bev, it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow x WOW: these are absolutely gorgeous! You and your friends: artists at work! And the florals are from your garden? Oh my....to have such a garden is my dream. Stunning wreaths; this will decorate your in-law's table beautifully!! I'm heading back for more gazing and admiring!!
    c

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful Beverley! Great to have fresh foliage around at Christmas! Yours is the second post I've seen in the last few days making wreaths for Christmas......The other was from Jersey!!!! Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you all had a fun. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They all look great. It's been years since I've attempted flower arranging and now I'm wanting to have a go again. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's impressive! I wouldn't know where to start! :)

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Comments Appreciated